Facebook security features are a great thing. They help keep hackers out of your account. But what happens when you forget your password?
Suddenly all those security features seem like overkill.
Fortunately, there’s a way to prevent that problem before it happens. It’s called “Trusted Contacts.” This security feature lets you get into your account with a little help from your friends.
How does it work?
You choose between three and five people who you trust and can contact off-Facebook.
If at any time you get locked out of your account, you type in the name of one or more of these people. Facebook will email or text them a secret website that only they can access. When they open it, it reveals a security code.
After your friend tells you the security code you can enter it into Facebook and get back into your account.
How to set up Trusted Contacts
Setting up trusted contacts is easy. Follow this step by step guide, or go to the Facebook Help tutorial.
- From your Facebook homescreen click the down arrow in the top right.
- Select “Settings”
- From the menu on the left, click “Security and Login” – this will open all of your security settings. You can see what devices your logged in on and access a link to change your password.
- Click the “edit” button next to “Choose friends to contact if you get locked out”
- In the box that opens click “choose friends” – Facebook will give you some tips on using trusted contacts safely
- Click the “Choose Trusted Contacts” button
- Start typing the name of someone you would like to add. Their profile picture and name should pop up as you type, so you can be sure you’re selecting the right person. Once you’ve typed at least three names, click “confirm”
You need to type at least three names before you can continue.
After you click confirm, your friends get a notification that you have added them. If you ever want to change who your trusted friends are you can go back into your security settings. Your friends will not be notified if you remove them.
That’s it. Now you have one more way to get back into your account if you forget or misplace your Facebook password.